Monday, September 22, 2008

A Rest Day at the Grand Canyon









I woke up at 5:28 this morning and smiled, then went back to sleep. It's a rest day!

Out of bed at 8:15 to a very cool morning. I heard the low last night was 44 degrees. I slept with the windows open and my blanket up to my neck.

After breakfast took a hike along the canyon rim; what a spectacular view. These pictures will not do the majesty of this place justice. I saw several condors flying out over the canyon; perhpas you will spot them in some of the photos.

Once i got back to the lodge, I took a nap then laundry. A great rest day.

Seven of us got together for dinner at El Tovar for dinner. The group let me pick the wine, a Pinot Noir from Oregon. After dinner, on the way to the shuttle bus we spotted for dinner crossing our path. We didn't startle them with our cameras.

Tomorrow we go to Tuba City. After climbing up to nearly 8,000' we have a 30 mile descent ending at ~4,800'.

4 comments:

Rick Bosshardt said...

Hi Mark!
The photos don't need captions. What a nice day. Life is full of little joys like that: just being able to wake up without an alarm and know that you can sleep in if you wish. Nice to know you can enjoy a glass of beer or wine along the way; another of those things that add flavor to life. We are thoroughly enjoying the blog so far. I pass on the news daily to everyone at the office.
Ride on.....
Rick

Val said...

I have been enjoying your blogs and pics each morning. Today's pics were breathtaking. We live in a beautiful country and you are graciously sharing your experience and wonderful views with your friends. Thank you!
Val.

Pam Hunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam Hunt said...

Mark! I am so excited to read your blog every day. What a wonderful trip and experience that you are sharing with us.

I have a map of your route up at the store to brag about you and your progress.

Happy biking and remember...hills are our friends...they make us strong!