Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Headed to Arizona!

Matt, Mark and Frank heading east out of 29 Palms at 7:00 am
The long road to Parker
California Route 62 looking West
rt 62 looking East
Barren Desert
Matt and Dave during lunch break on the road to Parker
I'm in Arizona, finally!

Day 4: 29 Palms to Parker Arizona; 111 miles
3,045 feet of climbing; -1,541 feet drop in elevation
2,300 kJ burned; 16.5 mph avg speed

Another long hot day in the California desert. What a difference a day makes, yesterday I was suffering from heat exhaustion as I had salt caked all over my face, overheated, and an elevated HR; today none of that despite higher temps and a much longer ride. I conclude it is my body adjusting to the environment.

The California desert is desolate. Today the ground turned to loose sand as opposed to the solid dirt from the past two days.

The riding went extremely well today as we rode out of 29 Palms in a small group of four that hung together nicely for the first 26 miles. Then we started to splinter at the refueling stops; by lunch I was riding solo as Matt was having a hard time with the heat. After lunch I rode most of the remaining miles with our guide, Dave Edwards.

Dinner tonight was true Mexican; good stuff with lots of carbs. Also had my second massage of the trip; Tara is working miracles on these tired muscles.

For those counting, one flat today; mine - in the parking lot prior to departure. I think I had a slow leak from yesterday.

2 comments:

nat said...

Woohoo for a good, long day in the heat of the desert! The pictures are great. Hope your "short" 44mi jaunt today was an easy one!

Dave B said...

I bet it was a relief and a small sense of accomplishment to cross over into a different state with such a long ride ahead? Limitations are for pushing, what an adventure to test a few!
Be safe……..