Sunday, September 14, 2008

First one is in the bank

Starting at Sea Level - Pacific Ocean
The Adventurers
Along the Pacific Coast Highway
On my way to Valencia, CA
Orange groves in the Valencia Area

A cool overcast morning in Santa Barbara welcomed 7 other riders and myself for the first leg of our adventure. After a brief ceremonial sendoff at waters edge where we let the surf wet our feet the group got on their bikes and started pedaling. Marcy was there to see me off; with a kiss and a hug, I was on my way.

The initial miles were along the Pacific Coast Highway only a few feet above the Pacific Ocean. At Seacliff, we took a road parallel to the PCH but even closer to the ocean. All along this road, campers lined the bikelane for a few miles. Once we reached Ventura we headed inland. At 36 miles into the ride, the sun finally broke through warming up morning. I'm glad I had the wind vest and arm warmers on up to this point as the air was quite brisk for this Floridian (in the 50's at the start).

Riding through this valley up to Valencia the tallest orange trees were the tallest I ever seen. Large vegetable farms were everywhere, as far as the eye could see. As we climbed up to an elevation of 1,186 the temperatures also rose into the 90's.

The group split into three sets of riders today. Three riders(53,58,60) from Colorado are quite strong on the bike as is one younger rider (47) from San Jose, CA. I paired up with a guy from Madison, WI and an riders from Iowa and Jupiter, FL made up the last group. As a group we probably finished within 20 minutes from first to last.

We rode 77.4 miles today; climbed 3,397' for a net elevation gain of 1,186'.

The group lost two participants over the summer so we only have 8 riders, two guides and the massage therapist.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Marc,

We discussed your trip quite a bit at my supper club Saturday night. I lot of people are pulling for you. I'm glad you got off to a good start. Hang in there and watch out for all those bad drivers!

Sandy

nat said...

Congratulations on a great first day! We toasted to your adventure at dinner last night. Hope day two is a good one!

Justin said...

Glad to hear you're off to a good start. How about some pics for tomorrow?

Rick Bosshardt said...

Hey Mark,
The article came out in the Sentinel and I will get some copies for Marcy so she can take one out when she flys out to meet you. After all the photos I sent, they decided to use the one of you and Marcy that I took at the MS Bike ride. It actually turned out very well. Too bad about the 2 drop outs. Gee, I could have taken one of those places!
I missed my Saturday ride this weekend. Spent the whole weekend out in the yard, planting, weeding, etc. See what you are missing?
Until the next blog.
Rick

JonLazar said...

Justin posted a note about your adventure on a reef aquarium site here in DC, including a link to the Orlando Sentinel article. Your trip is inspirational and I hope your journey is safe and injury free. Glad to see you're bringing a masseuse!

Best wishes,
Jon and Maureen