Saturday, October 4, 2008

Riding in the Wind!

Our luck ran out today; the winds turned against us big time. At daybreak they were 12+ mph, by noon over 20 mph and later in the afternoon, downright brutal 25+ with gusts higher. Most of the time they were crosswinds, in our face whenever we turned south and for two miles we were were headed North, at our back.

The ride totaled 113 miles, mainly due East with the winds out of the South. Archie, Matt, Dave (one of the guides) and me rode together working in a paceline to minimize our energy consumption versus the wind. Although our pace was slower than yesterday by working together we conserved our energy; by lunch (at mile 52) I felt good. I'm glad we rode smart because the afternoon was brutal. We stopped every 10 miles for a refueling stop, rest, or pee break just to give our bodies a rest against the beating of the wind. During the ride my HR was well under control, I spun the gears easily and didn't find myself pounding up very high wattages. The wind just pushed the bike at will making it hard to ride a straight line; my upper body ached by the end of the day.

The Colorado trio rode with Ricky Bobby today staying 10 miles or so ahead of us all day. These four are by far the strongest riders of the group. Ricky experienced the first accident of the trip - while ride in an echelon type paceline the wind pushed his front wheel into the rear wheel of the bike ahead of him just as the rider behind him hit Ricky's rear wheel. Ricky went down; fortunately the other two riders were able to maintain their balance. He suffered some road rash, torn jersey, and some sore bones but he and his bike will be ready to roll in the morning. Just an example of the strong winds wreaking havoc on the group.

No pictures today as there was nothing new to put into the memory banks. Plenty of corn, wheat and soybean fields just like yesterday.

We dropped down to an elevation of 1,300' today despite the fact that we climbed over 3,100' - constant rollers in a 20 mph wind - joy! I burned over 3,200 kcals today in 7:20 riding time.

For dinner, a break from the series of steakhouses we've visited across OK tonight is way pork at the "Rib Crib." Once again, everyone joined the clean plate club.

Yesterday I weighed myself at the Holiday Inn Express fitness center - I've lost a minimum of two pounds as this was my weight in the afternoon after riding 125 miles with my bike clothes on.

3 comments:

nat said...

Those winds sound incredible! You are so smart for riding in a paceline. How awful that someone went down - I am glad he is ok. These back-to-back centuries must be brutal in the headwind.

I am enjoying the weekend here in NC. School was really busy this week, as I have a paper due Monday and had "practice exams" on Friday. The combination of these two things deprived me of some sleep this week, but I'm recovering this weekend. Allison from high school is visiting me this weekend and we had a nice gourmet dinner tonight with some other girls from law school - I made a nice pork tenderloin and paired it with some yummy whitehall lane. It was such a delight to have a great dinner with some good girlfriends. Plus, the weather is picture perfect with nothing but sun & 70's. Derek is back in town next weekend and I can't wait for him to be home.

Take care and keep riding smart! You'll be in MO before you know it! Stay safe!

Nat

Rick Bosshardt said...

Hi Mark!
I knew yesterday was a busy day but how in the world did I miss checking in and leaving a comment. So much for my attempt to write something each day. Sorry!! I remember our ride around Silver Lake that day with the strong winds. I just don't think that would be much fun for a full day. Sounds like your conditioning and training have paid off in spades. The "race" (not that this is a race) isn't always to the strongest or fastest, but often to the one who stays the course. Sounds like you are riding smart. Sure wish I was there. Sal and I took the bikes down to Winter Garden today and rode the West Orange Trail. Had lunch outdoors in a little French cafe in downtown Wg. We lucked out. They had the downtown cordoned off for a music festival this weekend so it was really hopping there. Heard some interesting stuff. Is everyone's bike equipped like yours, with power meter, etc? Did any other riders bring their own bikes or did all use the Treks provided? Neat to be able to keep track of the data and I'm glad you pass it on. I will be neat when you begin to see the end of the cornfields and plains and start to hit some more interesting topography.
Ride on......
Rick

Rick Bosshardt said...

P.S. Halfway there. Wow! Really cool, but in another way, sad. The trip is half over. Enjoy, enjoy!