Saturday, October 25, 2008

Epilogue

It's now Saturday morning; I haven't touched my bike since we left Wild Dunes resort Thursday morning. My body is recovering nicely; mentally the energy level is returning although I'm enjoying the downtime in Durham, NC. I do plan to ride Sunday with Derek, my son in law, as he prepares for his first half ironman.

I returned to work yesterday by taking a short drive to Albemarle, NC to visit one of our manufacturing facilities we recently acquired. It was great to get back into that "saddle" once again; I'm really looking forward to the challenges my new position will bring as we continue to fight the continued slowdown in the housing economy.

I still cannot believe the trip is over. Although many of the days have become a blur it seems like only yesterday I was standing in the Pacific Ocean. I've seen so many great vistas, met a truly inspirational group of cyclists, and succeeded in meeting a great personal challenge that I can truly endorse Trek's slogan used in the brochure for this trip, "A trip and challenge of a lifetime."

Year's ago I read a book by Jim Collins, From Good to Great, where I learned about BHAG's - Big Hairy Audacious Goals. Since then I've always tried to keep one in front of me. For now, this trip was undoubtedly my finest BHAG. I'm not sure what will come next, but there will be another, and another.

If you're of the inclination to tackle an adventure such as this, all I can say is Just Do It, for every ounce of energy you will expend, the payback will be bountiful.

I'm glad I did this blog as it will help me relive each individual day, since as I wrote earlier some of the days are a blur. To those of you that kept up with me via this media, I hope you enjoyed it as well. To those that wrote comments and or sent them to me via Marcy, thank you for your kind words and support.

Lastly, a final heartfelt thanks to Marcy for supporting me throughout this adventure including all of the time I spent in training leading up to September 14th. Without that love and support, this would not have been successful.

Dedication


I'm dedicating this ride in memory of my father, Walter Casp, who instilled in me my work ethic - Don't be afraid of a little hard work!

And

In honor of my mother, Millie Casp, who has battled Breast, Kidney, Lung, and Bone Cancers over the past nine years. She is a survivor! If my mom can handle that, I certainly can do a little thing like ride my bike across the USA!

1 comment:

Rick Bosshardt said...

Hi Mark!
One final comment. Having rode the Hilly Hundred yesterday in Dade City (I rode the metric century or 63 miles) I tried to imagine getting up the next day and doing that again, and again, and again for 39 days. I had a hard time doing that.
Final note: A nice new bike: $$$. A cross country bike trip: $$$$$. A wonderful wife to support in doing these crazy "guy" things: Priceless.
Over and out.......
Rick